Networker

[Networker] Hung savegroup problem

2010-05-26 02:33:38
Subject: [Networker] Hung savegroup problem
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 02:31:50 -0400
Every once in a while, a savegroup on my Linux NetWorker 7.4.4 server hangs. It
always seems to hang on one client's backup, but it never seems to be the same
client. For example, tonight I happened to notice that a savegroup hung on a
backup of client x. I killed that savegroup and then I restarted it. The same
savegroup hung on a client y. No other savegroups were running at this time. In
both cases, there was no discernible backup activity. All the clients in this
particular group are Linux file servers, except for one that is Windows 2003.
There are 36 clients in this group.

This is a fairly simple setup with a Qualstar tape library with four LTO-3 tape
drives connected via fiber to the Red Hat AS 4.5 Linux backup server.

I actually had a case open with EMC about this issue and their only response
was to upgrade to 7.5 on the clients if it happens again. Would that really
help? I am wondering what other people are doing to address this problem if it
still is present in later NetWorker versions.