Networker

[Networker] encrypted clone only?

2010-05-19 12:23:12
Subject: [Networker] encrypted clone only?
From: Alex Alexiou <AAlexiou AT TARGETSITE DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 19 May 2010 12:20:43 -0400
I was wondering if one of you could tell me of a way to address this
scenario:

We're buying a Data Domain backup storage system to put our backup data
from Networker on. There will be a second Data Domain system in another
datacenter to provide offsite storage. However, once a month we need to
make a copy of one full backup job to tape and archive it offsite for a
few months. We don't want to keep this long-term archive on data domain
to save space. We will be connecting an LTO-4 jukebox to the backup
server to do this, but these tapes need to be encrypted. We currently
encrypt our backups via Networker, but we've been told we can't do this
when putting data on the Data Domain storage, as it will prevent
deduplication from working properly. However, this means that when we
clone a full backup job from Data Domain to tape, the tapes would be
unencrypted. While we could potentially use the native encryption of
LTO-4, it would require us to buy an expensive secure key manager from
the tape vendor, which is very expensive.

One solution I thought of was to run a second full backup job at the end
of the month directly to tape, and encrypt that using Networker.
However, this would mean that subsequent incremental jobs would rely on
this tape backup until the next full, which we don't want. Essentially,
we don't want to use a tape restore unless it's from a long-term
archive.

So with that in mind:

-       Is there any way to run a separate full backup job to a separate
media pool (in this case, tape) which subsequent incrementals would not
use?

-       Is there any way to clone data from the data domain device to
tape and encrypt only the tape clone contents through Networker?

Thanks for any ideas.

~Alex