Networker

Re: [Networker] Q: How to tell Networker that files have NOT been modified?

2010-04-27 18:57:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Q: How to tell Networker that files have NOT been modified?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:54:46 -0400
Len Philpot wrote:
The subject line is close to what I'm asking, but here's what's happened. We recently put the latest available client for Netware: 7.2.1, etc., on our Netware clients. The Solaris Networker server is still 7.2, but both will move at some point... hopefully... maybe before I die... :-\

Anyway, with this client our weeknight differentials were averaging between 50% and 99% of the size of our fulls run just a day or two earlier. That is, for some reason it was seeing ***WAY*** too many files as having been touched, when they hadn't been modified. Typically our diffs are between ~10% and ~40% at most. Putting the old client back ended this behavior, but now we have a number of clients with exceedingly large differentials that will continue to be at least that large until the next full backup is run, three days away. So what I'm doing tonight is running full backups of some of them to "reset the pointers" so subsequent diffs will be normal.

If putting the old client back fixed the problem then maybe my surmise is incorrect here, but is it possible that the file permissions, ownership or group somehow changed? The only time I've seen files get backed up that shouldn't - this was on Unix - was when the change of file status occurred wherein the files' permissions, ownership or group had been changed, but its content did not. In other words, someone or some process, ran some operation, e.g. 'chown' or 'chmod' on a bunch of files, which forces a change of file status (in the inode) on the affected files, so the modtimes remain as they were (ls -ld file), but the file status is new (ls -lc file).

It's my understanding that NW captures files whose file status has been updated since the previous backup, not the modtime. But, of course, anytime the modtime changes, so does the file status time, but not necessarily vice versa, e.g. chown, chmod, etc. In fact, even if the permissions, ownership or group is reset to what it already is, the change of file status is still updated. Not sure if any of this is the case with Netware?

My question is - Is there any other way to reset things for a given client to "unmodified" without actually running a full backup, so that subsequent diffs will truly be changed files only? Or is this insane?

We had a client once wherein a bunch of files kept getting their permissions changed every night, forcing huge incrementals, so I overrode the default backup behavior and created a directive that forced the backups to operate based on modtime, e.g.

<< /path >>
        +mtimeasm: .?* *

I'd certainly rather do some index twiddling if possible rather than use up tapes and time running an otherwise needless full backup of each.

Thanks!

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -