Networker

[Networker] Newbie question: Networker 7.1.4 - scanning in tapes?

2010-04-26 15:48:11
Subject: [Networker] Newbie question: Networker 7.1.4 - scanning in tapes?
From: grahambird80 <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:45:50 -0400
Hello,

Just incase anyone finds this while googling (that is how I did)

The following is my solution to the problem

Before you are able to restore data from the tapes you will need to index the
tapes and identify the following

1. SSIDs on the tapes
2. Names of the clients that were backed up
3. Name of the media pools

The above can all be found by running commands from the command prompt on the
networker server.

1. Open command prompt (Start > Run > type cmd then click RUN)

2. Navigate to the install location of the Networker software e.g. C:\Program
Files\Legato\ then in to the following subfolders \nsr\bin

3. Now Insert a tape(s) in to the drive
a. If using a standalone drive just insert the tape in to the drive
b. If using a library then load all the tapes in to the libraries magazines,
taking note which slots the tapes were put into
c. Once the tapes are in the library then you should inventory the library. To
do this select the slots that contain the tapes and then click the button with
the green tick on it (looks like a notepad) This will bring up the ?Inventory
Library? window. Just accept the default settings and click ?OK?
&#8195;
4. To load a tape in the library use the following command
sjimm [email protected] slot 1 drive 1
(replace the text [email protected] with the details of the library attached to
your server, this can be found in the Server Application GUI)

5. Once the tape is loaded you now need to run the scanner command as follows
scanner ?m \\.\Tape0

6. Take note to any messages that appear during the scan (the scan can take a
long time to complete) the following are examples of the error messages that
you will see;

32350:scanner: adding LTO Ultrium-3 tape 000030L3 to pool Full Backup
39078:scanner: RAP error: There is no pool named `Full Backup'.
16600:scanner: create pool manually after scanner; continuing...
8814:scanner: ssid 813026673: host `updnos400' must be a valid host name

7. So from these errors you have 2 actions to perform
a. Create a Media Pool
b. Create a Client (host)

8. Creating the Media Pools is fairly straight forward.
a. In the server application click on the ?Media? icon
b. Now in the left hand pane right click on ?Media Pools? and select ?New?
c. In the Name box on the ?Create Media Pool? window enter the name that the
scanner command advised e.g. Centrica Full Backup
d. Now click on the ?Selection Criteria? tab. Make sure that you select the
Devices that are connected to this server under the ?Target Devices? area. Also
under Levels tick the number 1 box (for any additional Media Pools that need to
be created you will need to select a different level) then click ?OK?

9. Creating the Clients (hosts) requires you to trick the system slightly
a. First you need to edit the host file on the system
c:\windows\systems32\drivers\etc\hostsYou can open this file with notepad
b. Once you have the file open then choose a dead IP address on the same subnet
as the Networker server and then add it and the hostname to the hosts file.
Once you have done that save the file and close it

e.g.
# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#       127.0.0.1       localhost
#       ::1             localhost

10.10.11.8                       hrlnws02xp
10.10.11.9                       updnos200
10.10.11.10      updnos400

c. Now go back to the Server Application and click on the ?Configuration?
button at the top
d. Now right click on ?Clients? and select ?New?
e. On the ?Create Client? window enter the Client (hostname) as it was
displayed in the command prompt and then click ?OK?

10. You will need to repeat these steps to create an other Media Pools /
Clients that the scanner command reports

11. Once the scanner is finished scanning it will probably be looking for
another tape to continue, if you are using a standalone tape drive and know
which tape is required then insert it and continue. Otherwise press q to quit
the scanner

12. To eject the tape from a library tape drive enter the following command
nsrjb ?HEv
NOTE ? This will eject all the load drives in the library back the tapes
original location

13. Now load the next tape using the command that we used previously sjimm
[email protected] slot 1 drive 1  (changing the slot number to the next slot)
Once the tape is loaded then run the scanner command scanner ?m \\.\Tape0
Note if you have more than one tape drive in the library then you can load a
tape in to this and start a scan also just open another command prompt window
and run the commands as above (changing the drive number and tape drive)

14. Once you have scanned all the tapes you can now recover data from them.
&#8195;
Restore Save Set data from tape

The final step is to get the data off the tape.

1. Before we can restore a save set we need to identify it. This is done with
the following command mminfo -q "volume=000030L3"
-r"volume,client,savetime,sumsize,ssid,name,annotation"

This will return a result like this

volume          client       date   size    ssid      name
annotation
000030L3       updnos400 12/02/2010 127 GB 729140594 /nline2

000030L3       updnos400 12/02/2010 133 GB 813026673 /seis1

000030L3       updnos400 12/02/2010 127 GB 779472241 /nline

000030L3       hrlnws02xp 12/02/2010 52 GB 443931590 \\updnon500\Reference

000030L3       hrlnws02xp 12/02/2010 35 GB 326492058 \\updnon500\Mgmt&Support

2. Now that we know the SSID (Save Set) we can run the following command to
restore it to a local disk (make sure you have enough free space) recover -S
326492058 -d E:\temp

This is how I managed to restore data from the tapes I had. Not all these steps
might be required but they worked for me :-)

Again thanks to everyone that helped me out.