Networker

[Networker] Slow tape devices

2010-04-26 03:24:56
Subject: [Networker] Slow tape devices
From: "Voetelink D." <voetelink AT ECN DOT NL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 09:22:54 +0200
Hi,

We have two Qualstar tapelibraries with each 2 or 3 SAIT-1 (SDZ-100) drives. They are connected to HP Proliant servers running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 and 4.

For a long time I've had speed problems with the tapedrives. I could not
get more then ~ 36MB/s per channel. I've worked around this by spreading
the tapedrives over different SCSI HBA's, but now I finally found some
time to look into this problem.

The devices are connected to LSI Fusion HBA's, which should be able to
connect at 320MB/s ultra wide. The drives should have ultra 160 wide
SCSI interfaces.

After some searching on the Internet I found the 'lsiutil' Linux software with which I could finally see at which speed and width the devices are connected, and I was very surprised that the devices had negotiated 'Ultra2 Narrow, 40 MB/sec'. I verified this on all devices in both systems, and all tapedrives are connected at that speed....

I cannot find any settings within the LSI BIOS which can change this,
and also within the lsiutil software I cannot find any options....

I've installed the latest available LSI driver for Red Hat Enterprise
Linux 4, but this changed nothing.

Does anyone have an idea on how to make the devices run at ultra 160 wide?

Thanks,

Dennis

 This message may contain information that is not intended for you.
 If so, you are requested to immediately inform the sender and
 delete the message. This e-mail is not intended to create a
 legally binding commitment and ECN accepts no liability for damage
 of any kind resulting from the risks inherent to the electronic
 transmission of messages.

 ECN, Dutch CoC number: 41151233