Networker

Re: [Networker] scanner -i and evaporating indexes - NSR 7.5.1

2010-04-06 15:42:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] scanner -i and evaporating indexes - NSR 7.5.1
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 14:38:36 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] scanner -i and evaporating indexes - NSR 7.5.1,...:

I come back the next morning, and the indexes I just spent all day building
with 'scanner -i' are *gone*.  Bang my head against the wall, and realize
that the client in question has both browse and retention set to 2 months
(our standard config).  So obviously overnight it looked and saw a 3 year old
index and purged it.  I change the client to browse and retention "Decade",
and spend yesterday and this morning re-scanning the tapes I already did.

And around 10AM, the indexes I had finished re-doing went poof *again*.

I'm not certain you're doing anything wrong.  It sounds like another
unfortunate change in behavior of the product WRT scanning, or perhaps
it's just a bug.

The first thing I would do is generate a report that includes the browse
and retention times for the savesets in question, to figure out what
they're getting set to:

        mminfo -ot -q client=your.client.name \
                -r 'ssid,savetime(22),ssbrowse(22),ssretent(22),client,name'

The next thing I would do is extend the browse and retention on the
savesets you've scanned in.  You may have to do this in two steps and
it might be required that you specify both the ssid and cloneid.  If you
don't know the ssid and cloneid of the savesets, you can probably find
that from something like:

        mminfo -ot -q 'client=your.client.name,ssinsert>04/06/2010 9:00 am' \
                -r ssid,cloneid,client,name

(assuming all of your scanning happened after 9:00 am today).

Once you have that report, just re-run it and only report on the ssid and
cloneid, and postprocess

        mminfo -ot -q 'client=your.client.name,ssinsert>04/06/2010 9:00 am' \
                -r ssid,cloneid | tail -n +2 | awk '{ print $1 "/" $2 }' \
                > ssid-cloneid

Then you can try feeding that into nsrmm

        for s in `cat ssid-cloneid`
        do
                nsrmm -y -S "$s" -w '3 months' -e '6 months'
        done

As I said, you might not be able to do this as one operation, it might
have to be done in two steps,

        for s in `cat ssid-cloneid`
        do
                ssid=`echo "$s" | cut -d / -f 1`
                nsrmm -y -S "$s" -e '6 months'
                nsrmm -y -S "$ssid" -w '3 months'
        done

That should hopefully be enough to make certain that index entries aren't
automatically getting purged.

BTW, if there are index: savesets of the client in question on the tapes
you're scanning, it would probably be faster to just load the index
savesets, rather than using scanner.  The process is more complicated than
it used to be, but it still should be faster than scanner.

Also, I have a script that I've used to do batch recovers on UNIX & Linux
systems for subpoenas and open records requests over the years, contact me
off list if you would like to give it a try.  It's not perfect, but it
might save your coworker a bunch of time, once the index issues are sorted
out.

Tim
edu