Networker

[Networker] Problems backing up very long paths in Windows 2003

2010-04-06 09:58:32
Subject: [Networker] Problems backing up very long paths in Windows 2003
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 09:56:09 -0400
I have a job that is failing to backup one folder, out of a dozen or so on
the drive. So today, I did a verbose backup of just this one folder. And I
saw this:

I:\crmpublichousing\30 AWE & PH COMBINED PROJECT\3.0
CONSTRUCT\BUILD\Correspondence Management
JAR\Workspaces\com.peoplesoft.crm.co_custom\src\com\peoplesoft\crm\co\cm\DO
NOT
USE\a\a\a\a\a\cm\a\a\a\a\a\co\cm\a\a\a\a\crm\co\cm\a\a\com\a\crm\co\cm\a\a\a\a\a\co\cm\a\a\com\a\crm\co\cm\a\src\a\a\a\co\cm\c\src\com\peoplesoft\crm\co\cm\com.peoplesoft.crm.co_custom\src\com\peoplesoft\crm\co\cm\com.peoplesoft.crm.co_custom\src\com\peoplesoft\crm\co\cm\.metadata\.log

That is one long path ... too long for me to access. Total length of that
path is over 600 chars. And it's causing NW to error out. While I realize
this is probably a Windows problem, Windows allowed it to be created. And
the Windows docs I can find say that it is theoretically valid

"In the Windows API (with some exceptions discussed in the following
paragraphs), the maximum length for a path is MAX_PATH, which is defined
as 260 characters "

"The Windows API has many functions that also have Unicode versions to
permit an extended-length path for a maximum total path length of 32,767
characters. "

<http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa365247%28VS.85%29.aspx>

I'm not finding any NW related switch or option that might help me to back
up such a long folder structure. Am I correct in assuming that there isn't
one? I am also having the group responsible for that path look into it,
and see if there's something they can do ... like decide they don't really
need it. :-)

Anyone seen anything similar, in Windows 2003 SP2?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM