Networker

Re: [Networker] Backup renamed directories for Windows?

2010-04-05 16:04:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Backup renamed directories for Windows?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 16:01:46 -0400
Len Philpot wrote:
George Sinclair We have Windows client (client1, OS=Windows NT Server on Intel), and we see this if 'Backup renamed directories' is enabled for the resource:

client1:G:\ save: Invalid VSS Save Operations keyword value of RENAMED_DIRECTORIES

but G:\ still gets backed up.

I'm not a Windows admin (well, technically I am/was, but let's not go there) but VSS isn't supported by NT Server, is it? Didn't it first appear in XP (or was it 2000)... ?

From what I could find, Volume Snapshot Service was introduced in Windows XP.

Is the error message suggesting that VSS must be running for the 'Backup renamed directories' feature to work or maybe that it cannot be running? I'm unclear on what 'VSS' has to do with the 'Backup renamed directories' switch and what to infer from this message.

Or am I wrong and is it still Monday for me? :-)

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -