Networker

Re: [Networker] How to skip a directory excluding a subdirectory?

2010-04-02 15:35:31
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to skip a directory excluding a subdirectory?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 3 Apr 2010 06:33:18 +1100
On 03/04/2010, at 04:13 , MIchael Leone wrote:

> EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
> 04/02/2010 01:01:39 PM:
>

>> What how about simply enumerating the specific save sets like:
>>
>> C:\
>> D:\
>> G:\backup
>>
>> etc. Then you wouldn't need a second resource. Obviously, you'd have to
>> ensure that nobody every created another file system on the host,
> though.
>
> At that point, you run another job, with a directive to SKIP those
> savesets you've enumerated in the other job. The 2nd job will catch any
> new filesystems.

I'd strongly recommend NOT using skip in this way. That's what the null
directive is for.

If you skip directories on one backup and back them up on another, you get into
terrible complications in facilitating full filesystem recovery, as skip
influences what you see in the indices.

See here for more details:

http://nsrd.info/blog/2009/07/08/basics-null-vs-skip-directives/

Oh, to answer George's earlier question - no, you can't use skip, then
subsequently forget. I had thought you could, but when this topic just
re-emerged, ran some tests and found that the 'forget' wouldn't be processed.
Even if this is a bug, it means that the directive processing is a tad
unreliable here.

Cheers,

Preston.

--