Networker

[Networker] How to use symbolic name for Oracle backup?

2010-03-29 17:51:55
Subject: [Networker] How to use symbolic name for Oracle backup?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2010 17:48:18 -0400
Hi,

I'm trying to get NMO to allow me to use a symbolic name for the save set. The server (server1) is running 7.5.1 on RH Linux. The client (client1) is running the same with NMO 5.0 and Oracle 10g.

If I run the following command on the client, it runs fine:

/usr/sbin/nsrnmo_script -s server1 -g oracle_testdev_cat -LL -m client1 -l full -q -W 78 -N RMAN:/oracle/SCRIPTS/TEST/RMAN_CATTEST.rcv RMAN:/oracle/SCRIPTS/TEST/RMAN_CATTEST.rcv

BUT, if I instead change it to use a symbolic name (e.g. RMAN_CATTEST) as:

usr/sbin/nsrnmo_script -s server1 -g oracle_testdev_cat -LL -m client1 -l full -q -W 78 -N RMAN_CATTEST RMAN:/oracle/SCRIPTS/TEST/RMAN_CATTEST.rcv

it then complains with the error: "could not open CMDFILE "RMAN_CATTEST".

It appears that NW is trying to locate a command file with that name, and of course, there is no such command file. I know that, but I'm trying to get it to use "RMAN_CATTEST" as the symbolic name for the real command file (RMAN_CATTEST.rcv), which is provided.

I know that symbolic naming (-N option) will work for manual saves since I have run some non-oracle flat file backups using '-N' option, and that works.

Yes, we do have an NSR client resource with the value "RMAN:/oracle/SCRIPTS/TEST/RMAN_CATTEST.rcv" in the Save set listing, and the value "nsrnmo_script" in the Backup command field, and that works fine, but we'd like to replace the backup command field value with a calling script that will set the symbolic name using '-N' and then invoke the nsrnmo script with the correct parameters, including the '-N', from there, but I've traced the problem down to what I've noted above, so that's why I've been testing it manually from the client.

Here's the full error output:

off
EMC NetWorker Module for Oracle v5.0
Mon Mar 29 20:26:13 2010
cmd_args = send 'NSR_ENV=(NSR_GROUP=oracle_testdev_cat,NSR_SERVER=server1,NSR_SAVESET_NAME=RMAN_CATTEST)'
rman_script = RMAN_CATTEST
saveset_name = RMAN_CATTEST
Launching backup process

Argument     Value          Description
target       quoted-string  connect-string for target database
catalog      quoted-string  connect-string for recovery catalog
nocatalog    none           if specified, then no recovery catalog
cmdfile      quoted-string  name of input command file
log          quoted-string  name of output message log file
trace        quoted-string  name of output debugging message log file
append       none           if specified, log is opened in append mode
debug        optional-args  activate debugging
msgno        none           show RMAN-nnnn prefix for all messages
send         quoted-string  send a command to the media manager
pipe         string         building block for pipe names
timeout      integer        number of seconds to wait for pipe input
checksyntax  none           check the command file for syntax errors
Both single and double quotes (' or ") are accepted for a quoted-string.
Quotes are not required unless the string contains embedded white-space.

RMAN-00571: ===========================================================
RMAN-00556: could not open CMDFILE "RMAN_CATTEST"
The backup process failed:
RMAN exited with return code '1'.
client1:     RMAN exited with return code '1'.

nsrnmostart returned status of 255
/usr/sbin/nsrnmo_script exiting.

--
George Sinclair