Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on tape rewinding???

2010-03-25 17:33:41
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on tape rewinding???
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 16:31:06 -0500
> Preston de Guise
>
> NetWorker rewinds the tape to make sure that it's writing to the
> correct tape; I also believe part of the other purpose is that when
> it's finished writing it will write a double-EOF to signify current
> end of tape. When it's time to start writing again, it goes back and
> writes over the _second_ end of tape so that there's just a plain EOF
> marker between the two savesets. That behaviour was explained to me
> over a decade ago though so apply standard caveats to it :-)

That might explain some tape errors we've seen over the entire time we've
been running (Sun's OEM-ed) 7.2. I know... it should be replaced by 7.5.x
in a few weeks hopefully! We started seeing them immediately after
upgrading from 6.1 to 7.2, on the same hardware, same OS, two different
servers, etc., etc.

Networker would write just fine to a tape and then with a completely
random frequency fail to write a subsequent backup to the same tape at
some later point. It would load the tape, seek forward, keep on seeking
until it reached end of media, rewind and try a few more times. Usually,
it would then eject the tape, get another and backup successfully. Usually
(!) the delays introduced by such issues didn't cause problems.

My empirical theory (supported in concept by Sun and neither denied nor
ever fixed by EMC) was that some kind of final "end of data" marker was
not being written properly in some instances. This might explain the
/complete/ randomness of the errors: new tapes, old tapes, one pool,
another pool, ad infinitum, if that second EOF wasn't being reliably
written to tape. It also makes me feel better that any previous backups
written to said tapes are probably OK and shouldn't present issues if
being read for clones, etc.

Hmmm...  :-)

Oh well - Hopefully this is not an issue anymore.