Networker

Re: [Networker] Monthly backups to different jukebox

2010-03-25 17:26:03
Subject: Re: [Networker] Monthly backups to different jukebox
From: Brendan Forsyth <bff AT PVHS DOT ORG>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 15:23:58 -0600
Thanks for the response Matt.  I understand how that could be a difficult
situation to deal with.  Fortunately, the DXi is a VTL that I can't really
remove the tapes from anyway.  Additionally I have the ability to move virtual
tapes from library to library as needed.  But I will give your caveat serious
consideration as I move forward.

Brendan Forsyth

>>> Matt Temple <mht AT RESEARCH.DFCI.HARVARD DOT EDU> 3/25/2010 2:38 PM >>>
>From my sad, sad history with doing exactly this, I'd recommend that
you don't follow this plan.   In particular, with version 7.2, if you
need to do a multi-tape restore, Legato /insists/ that all tapes be in
the same jukebox.   I found that to be very inconvenient.  I can imagine
that it might not be as much of a nuisance for you.

(I had originally done this when SONY caused a huge mess by having AIT-4
tape drives that couldn't read AIT-3 tapes, so I had different drives in
different libraries. -- you can imagine how obnoxious /that/ turned out.)

Does anyone know if newer versions of Networker have fixed this problem,
so that restores now know about all tapes in all libraries?

Matt Temple

On 03/25/2010 10:40 AM, Brendan Forsyth wrote:
> I would like to redirect my monthend backups to another jukebox at the
> beginning of each month using pools with different retention and browse times
> than my usual daily/weekly schedule.
>
> Could you point me to a resource as to how to configure this.
>
> NW 7.2.2
> Quantum DXi7500 deduplication VTL
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Brendan Forsyth
> Senior Systems Administrator
> Poudre Valley Health Care
> 3702 Automation Way
> Fort Collins CO 80525
> bff AT pvhs DOT org
> (970) 495-7731 office
> (970) 689-2503 cell
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  The information contained in this e-mail is
> privileged and confidential, and is intended only for the use of the
> individual or entity named above.  If you are not the intended recipient, you
> are notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, electronic storage
> or use of this communication is prohibited.  If you received this
> communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail, attaching the
> original message, and delete the original message from your computer and any
> network to which your computer is connected.

> this list. You can access the archives at

Matthew Temple                Tel:    617/632-2597
Director, Research Computing  Fax:    617/582-7820
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute  mht AT research.dfci.harvard DOT edu
44 Binney Street, LW/250      http://research.dfci.harvard.edu
Boston, MA 02115              Choice is the Choice!

dispose of the e-mail.