Networker

[Networker] Patch upgrade advice?

2010-03-21 20:28:40
Subject: [Networker] Patch upgrade advice?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:28:03 -0400
Hi,

We're getting ready to install a NW patched version (7.5.1.9) for Linux. Our current version is 7.5.1 on Linux. We received the patch install from EMC. This looks to be the same gzipped tar distribution, i.e. the client, the node, the server, etc. as on the older CD media kit, but with different sizes, dates and checksums - natch. I remember in the past with older releases that we'd get specific binary replacements, but this is the whole thing, I guess.

Are there any particular steps that we should follow to install this?

I assume this will be done same as usual upgrade, but it's been a long time since I've run an upgrade for NW. We did a fresh install for our current release.

1. Make a backup of the server
2. Save bootstrap info
3. Stop nmc (runs on primary)
4. Shut down NW on snode and primary server
4. Uninstall current release on primary in order (serv, node, clnt, manpg)
5. Uninstall current release on snode in order (node, clnt, manpg)
5. Install new patched release on primary in order (clnt, node, serv, manpg)
6. Install new patched release on snode in order (clnt, node, manpg)
7. Restart NW on primary and snode
8. Restart nmc

That it???

We're not using the license manager. I assume we won't need any kind of update enabler? I assume that the install won't touch anything under /nsr/res; /nsr/index or /nsr/mm ????

Our tape library is on the snode only. Will we need to reconfigure our tape library?

Will probably install the patch client on all our clients, too.

Thanks.

George

--
George Sinclair