Networker

[Networker] Backup next step: dedup or BMR, or both?

2010-03-19 19:13:39
Subject: [Networker] Backup next step: dedup or BMR, or both?
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:11:39 -0400
stan wrote:
> On 03 19, 2010, at 9:52 AM, tbirkenbach wrote:
>
> I do not think there is a one size fits all answer to your question. It
> depends on your employer's requirements and budget. For us, de-dup is far
> more important than BMR, although BMR would be nice.
>
> <snippage>

Completely agree with Stan.  Another factor you might consider along with any
RTO commitments is that dedupe gives you capacity planning flexibility  to an
extent.  It's certainly not an end-all, be-all solution, but since we've
deployed Avamar, my blood pressure doesn't spike quite like it used to when my
boss casually mentions that there are going to be another 27 virtual machines
deployed next week.

In our case, server virtualization has alleviated some of the BMR needs.  There
are lots of options for BMR protection for VMs that aren't terribly expensive
or hard to do, so I've been preaching the "if want to be able to recover the
system quickly, make it a VM or cluster" message a lot.

--brerrabbit