Networker

Re: [Networker] Volume capacity?

2010-03-19 17:42:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Volume capacity?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 08:40:24 +1100
On 20/03/2010, at 08:32 , Tim Mooney wrote:

> In regard to: Re: [Networker] Volume capacity?, George Sinclair said (at...:
>
>> Seems then that it's picking this up automatically? Is there any need for me
>> to set the 'Volume default capacity'?
>
> If the tape drives are actually configured as LTO4 drives, then I would
> say no.
>
> Generally, you only want to override NetWorker's notion of a volume
> default capacity if you've done something like
>
> - bought LTO-5 drives hot off the assembly line
> - are running a NetWorker version that doesn't yet have a built-in
>  idea of what LTO-5 drives have for capacity
>

> If NetWorker actually knows about the type of drive you have, then I
> would just leave volume default capacity alone.

Actually there's another good reason where you should be setting the Volume
Default Capacity – and that's for use with VTLs. This way rather than NetWorker
constantly reporting that it's getting a heck of a lot less capacity than
expected on the virtual media (e.g., virtual media configured as LTO-4, but
setup to be 100GB in size), it will react and work with media of the "correct"
size. This is something I blogged about recently -

http://nsrd.info/blog/2010/02/27/basic-svtls-and-default-media-sizes/

Cheers,

Preston.

--