Networker

Re: [Networker] nsrck -L7 error - help?

2010-03-16 22:55:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] nsrck -L7 error - help?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 22:52:26 -0400
Landwehr, Jerome wrote:
 Did you make any progress on this?

I'm getting the exact same error - usually this works fine

my networker server is 0210

Apparently, this is caused by the fact that server A cannot recover indexes that it didn't back up. It sees that the index was backed up by, say, server B, so it refuses to do anything. That's how it works.

There are several solutions:

1. Make the clientid for the new server the same as the old server. There is a procedure for doing this outlined in the NW guide. I think when this happens it will rename every occurrence of the old server in the media DB to the new server. I don't think they mention this, however. Essentially, the new server now inherits everything that was backed up on the old server, as in that other/older server's own save sets, including its file indexes. Then 'nsrck -L7' will work, but I could find no mention anywhere in the documentation that this was why 'nsrck -L7' was failing.

note: 'nsrck -L7' is *supposed* to add the recovered index information to the existing index and not mess with any already existing data; it's supposed to just roll in the recovered data, and the clock starts ticking from there for the stuff rolled in. In the past, however, I found that this was not the case if I was recovering a much older index, and the recovered information was then immediately lost, and I had to change both the browse policy and the time clock on the server in order to get it to keep the older recovered entries. I don't know if that problem still exists as that was a long time ago, under a much older release of NW.

2. Scan in the affected save sets using scanner with '-i' option. This could be time consuming, depending on how many save sets worth of data you want added to the index.

3. Scan in the index save set, using '-i' option, and specify the ssid for the actual index itself.

I'm unclear on how this would affect an already existing index for that client. In other words, would it just add the information to the index, like 'nsrck -L7', assuming the index it already existed, and had information in it? Would it overwrite it? Would the clock start from that point?

4. Same as 3 but use 'uasm' to do a raw recover of the index to some area (e.g. /home/recoverdir) like:

scanner -s newserver -S ssid device -x uasm -rv -m/oldserver:index=/home/recoverdir

I tried this and it recovered it to the real location, ignoring where I told it to recover it to. That might be because it's an index and 'uasm', with the '-m' option to relocate it, doesn't treat it like a normal recovered save set. I didn't have an existing index on the new server for that client, so I wasn't concerned, but I'm unclear that if I did have one if it would have merged it in or just overwritten it? I guess you could always make a copy of the original index and then you could move it back later.

Here's the thing that puzzles me with all this:

let's suppose that you run for a month or so with your new backup server A set to client id 123. Then, later down the road you decide to change it to client id 456 to match the client id of the old server B. Now, all of server B's save sets and indexes will be owned by server A, so you can now use the recommended friend 'nsrck -L7' to recover them to merge in older stuff, and life is good. OK, but what if you then want to recover indexes that were backed up on server A??? Now, you're gonna have to do it again, but this time change it's clientid back to 123. Sheesh!!!! I don't see any way around it because the server, or any client for that matter, can only have one clientid. Too bad they can't just provide scanner with a carte blanche option to recover another server's indexes period [sigh ...].

George

susvr0210 Tue 12:02pm ~ # mminfo -q volume=W02152 -v | grep 0257

W02152         susvr0210      05/10/06 11:14:57 AM   35 GB 3110208477 cr
full index:susvr0257

susvr0210 Tue 12:02pm ~ # nsrck -L7 -t "05/10/06" susvr0257

nsrck: checking index for 'susvr0257'
nsrck: The file index for client 'susvr0257' will be recovered.
nsrck: The index recovery for 'susvr0257' failed.
nsrck: File index error: can't find index backups for 'susvr0257' on
server 'susvr0210.gcsd.harris.com'

nsrck: Completed checking 1 client(s)
-Jerry