Networker

[Networker] Transfer NW server to an existing client

2010-03-16 09:11:52
Subject: [Networker] Transfer NW server to an existing client
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:09:31 -0400
I have a NW 7.4.5 server, running on BACK001; it has a client named OTHER.
What I need to do is to move the Networker server from BACK001 to OTHER.
I've recovered a NW server before  (i.e., mmrecov, rename the res
directory, nsrck -L7, etc), but the new one had the same name as the old
one, in that case. Here, I need to do a D/R recovery to a machine with a
different name (an existing name), and I am unsure of the steps involved.
I need to make sure I have all the old history of backups of OTHER
available for recovery, as OTHER is a file server for that site.

I am reading through the D/R guide, but am still unclear. The clientIDs
should not change (since they are existing installations), but I can't
figure out what will happen when an existing client now becomes the
server, and the server goes down to just being a client.

Pointers appreciated.

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM