Networker

Re: [Networker] Splitting up large directory save jobs into smaller pieces (aka. "parallelizing")

2010-03-03 09:29:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Splitting up large directory save jobs into smaller pieces (aka. "parallelizing")
From: Ronny Egner <RonnyEgner AT GMX DOT DE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:27:51 +0100
-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 09:16:18 -0500
> Von: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT temple DOT edu>
> An: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>, Ronny
> Egner <RonnyEgner AT GMX DOT DE>
> Betreff: Re: [Networker] Splitting up large directory save jobs into smaller
> pieces (aka. "parallelizing")

> On 03 3, 2010, at 9:12 AM, Ronny Egner wrote:
>

> > I am aware this problem can be solved by using NDMP and some kind of
> block based backup approach rather than a file based one. But i´d like to
> have a script a hand which automatically splits up large save jobs into
> smaller ones (a guess i am not the only one).
> >
> > Feedbacks? Comments? Any other ideas?
>
> You have a rough road to travel in either approach. Much better is for
> your clients to organize their file systems in an optimal way that facilitates
> effective backups and overall use of the data on their servers. Just
> piling files and directories onto a file system without concern for how the
> data
> will be protected is a poor strategy and scripting one's way around that
> deficiency isn't a good idea in my humble opinion, regardless of which
> backup solution is in use.

Hi Stanley,

thanks for the fast response. I completely agree with you. However reality
often looks different. Often storage is used without any structure. Or it
is used sub-optimally because the developer decided "it is the best to do
so". Rewriting takes too much time... i guess you know that from
experience.

For instance a custom written revision tracking system which creates a
separate directory containing the compressed file FOR EACH REVISION OF THE
FILE.
So i am facing a directory with approx half a million sub-directories
(growing in number!) each containing one single file. Running
non-parallelized  takes ages (no wonder why).

Ronny
--
Ronny Egner
RonnyEgner AT gmx DOT de