Networker

Re: [Networker] Questions about storage node's

2010-02-25 09:50:43
Subject: Re: [Networker] Questions about storage node's
From: "STANLEY R. HORWITZ" <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 09:48:29 -0500
On 02 25, 2010, at 9:41 AM, Matthew Powell wrote:

> We have an environment set up that has just one physical backup server right
> now. We are in the planning stages of setting up a storage node to help with
> the load. I have a question about the storage node. If for some reason the
> primary server went down could the storage node take the primary servers
> place and if so is this something that would be an easy switch or alot of
> work? Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Your storage node will stop working if the NetWorker server that controls it
fails. Since a storage node lacks the NetWorker server binaries and the
contents of /nsr/indexes as well as the configuration for all your backup
devices, your only option for using your storage node to do backups in the
absence of your NetWorker server would be to promote your storage node to a
server, then treat it as a DR situation where you would use mmrecov on the
storage node in order to bring back the most recent media index, then take the
usual steps to restore the client file index. To do this, it is best of the
storage node and the NetWorker server run the same Operating System and of
course, have access to the same type of backup media hardware as does your
server.

By the time you do all of this, it might be easier to simply fix the problem
with your server and bring it back online. If you do end up using your
NetWorker storage node as a server, you will need to reverse the DR process on
the original server once it is fixed in order to keep the media and client file
indexes current.