Networker

Re: [Networker] Need help with scanner

2010-02-25 00:26:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] Need help with scanner
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 2010 05:24:11 +0000
> For test 1, I would use scanner to scan in the particular save set and then
> rebuild the media index for that save set and then use recover to perform a
> save set recover? Are these steps correct:
>
> On server B
> 1. Manually load tape in LTO-4 drive
> 2. scanner -m -S ssid device_path (determine ssid from server A) 3. recover
> -S ssid (Unix command).
>
> That it? Not sure how to do save set recover on Windows?

'recover' is a valid command on Windows as well.

> Questions:
> 1. I assume step 2 will create a volume entry for the tape, but with just
> that one save set?

Since you are limiting the scanner with '-S ssid', yes, just that one saveset.

> 2. Also, by specifying the ssid, will scanner forward through the tape to
> that specific save set, or will it read through all the data on the tape to
> get there? In other words, will the physical tape positioning be just as
> fast as it will be when I run save set recover?

It can't forward to the saveset because it doesn't know ahead of time
where it will start.  It has to read the datastream looking for SSID
starts.

However, you can tell it where to go.  Since you have a valid database
from the first server, you can ask 'mminfo' to tell you what the
'mediafile' is for the first record of the ssid on the tape.  Then you
feed that to scanner via '-f'.  It will forward to that file on the tape
before reading.  It should be comparable in time as when doing a recover.

> 3. How do I do perform test 2 using browsable recover? The LTO-3 tape that
> has the client index can be also be moved and scanned, but not sure how to
> use 'nsrck -L7' for a tape that server B doesn't know about?

If you add -i to the scanner command, it will fill in the client indexes
as well.

--
Darren