Networker

[Networker] Speeding up scanner?

2010-02-24 10:41:30
Subject: [Networker] Speeding up scanner?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:38:54 -0500
Hi,

I'd like to scan a tape that was written to another/old NW backup server, and I have the ssid. How can I expedite the process of getting to the start of the save set on the tape without having to read through *all* the data on the tape?

What I'd like to do is essentially mimic the speed of save set recover if the database on the new server instead already knew about the tape and its save sets, which, of course, it doesn't.

Checking the man page for scanner, I see the 'f' and 'r' options for starting file and record number.

1. I assume that would accomplish what I need?

2. Assuming I can query the media database on the old server that contains all the information on this tape, how do I determine the 'f' and 'r' values to supply to scanner on the new server?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210