Networker

[Networker] error with VSS SYSTEM BOOT Saveset

2010-02-18 10:26:29
Subject: [Networker] error with VSS SYSTEM BOOT Saveset
From: Wollef <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:24:58 -0500
The vss and swprv are both Shadow Copy services that are usually not running
but set to Manually start by some outside process call and I'm guessing
Terminal Services would not be effected.  The Backup software requests the
Windows Shadow Copy service to make temp copies of all files during the backup,
once the backup is complete, the temp files are deleted.

Shadow Copy service can also save permanent 'versions' of a file, like
snap-shot images.  We've not used Shadow Copies of files here, so I don't know
if the reset sequence will effect the files being saved as Shadow Copies.  I
suspect the service would simply be unavailable during the reset steps but
that's another test needed.