Networker

Re: [Networker] New library and media - what to do about old tapes?

2010-02-11 18:08:56
Subject: Re: [Networker] New library and media - what to do about old tapes?
From: Craig Faller <craigf AT XSIDATA.COM DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 10:06:05 +1100
The "old pool" cant be changed if there are valid tapes containing data
within this pool, given that the label scheme of the lto4 media is
different, the issue isn't that they are different, the issue is whether
or not the new jukebox/barcode reader can read both label formats. If
this is the case, the you don't need to make any changes at all. Just
load up the jukebox with thenew lto4 tapes, and in the event that a
recovery is required, then only the necessary tapes needed for that
restore can be deposited into the jukebox write-locked, and the recovery
performed.

if the barcode reader cannot read the older type lto2 barcodes, then you
may just need to use the sji commands to load up the necessary lto2
tapes for any legacy restores and not use the jukebox barcode reader
etc.