Networker

Re: [Networker] Anyone using bladeservers for networker with a VTL?

2010-02-11 09:25:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Anyone using bladeservers for networker with a VTL?
From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:22:11 -0600
Can I throw another thing out there...  On top of agreeing with all of those
issues, you may run into heat issues with the blade which can lower your
overall MTBF on the blade center.  Remember backup servers run hot all night
long, and then can be cloning all day long, that's a lot of extra heat.
 Also you have shared backplanes inside of a blade chassis, which means
you'll be sucking all that shared aggregate bandwidth out of the chassis.

Lastly, no sharing the VTL and real tape devices on a single HBA is not
recommended and in some cases not supported.  EMC for one would not do the
PS work for us on the EDL if we had the SL500 on the same HBA ports.  Keep
in mind you can easily max out an HBA's overall bandwidth with just a few
LTO or EDL drives...

But as others have stated there is always a reason... if this is a remote
site with only a single rack and all you have in the rack is a blade center,
fiber switch, router/switch, disk library and tape library, then yeah
sticking the NetWorker server in the bladecenter makes perfect sense until
you need additional capacity.

Alec