Networker

[Networker] error when backing up win 2008 (64 bits)

2010-02-10 03:38:23
Subject: [Networker] error when backing up win 2008 (64 bits)
From: Wollef <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:32:58 -0500
Hans Ericson - I posted this to your other question about VSS space.

HotFix for Windows 2003 VSS highlights the registry key to increase the VSS
workspace size. I set mine to max.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826936

note - VSS is required by Windows Server 2008.

I use Networker 7.4.5 to back up Windows Server 2008 except files protected by
Microsoft Windows Resource Protection:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa382503%28VS.85%29.aspx

This 'feature' guards all Windows 2008 files, such as most everything under
C:\Windows, with security and a repository to replace any successfully modified
files.  I reported to EMC support that I could not backup or restore most files
under C:\Windows on Windows Server 2008.  EMC support reported back "We were
able to replicate your results"

Basically my support plan is that Windows Server 2008 will have to be
re-installed before Networker will attempt to bring back non-OS data.