Networker

Re: [Networker] VM BACKUPS USING VCB

2010-02-08 03:06:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] VM BACKUPS USING VCB
From: Anacreo <anacreo AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 02:05:06 -0600
No we don't do any type of snapshots here...  We don't use VCB's, we just
backup the clients directly as an individual Networker client, as stated
earlier the "Virtual Client" license lets us just license the individual ESX
hosts and then the guests are "Free".

We've got an EMC Clarrion CX3-20 feeding one farm and an EMC Clarrion CX3-80
feeding another.  We've got a density of around 35 VM's per host.  We are
limited to 1gb of bandwidth to the CX3-20 farm and 2gb of bandwidth to the
CX3-80 farm.  There are about 10 ESX servers in each Farm.

We only have a single networker server running on a Sun T5240 w/64gb of RAM,
writing to a 6 drive SL500 and a 97TB EDL.

Do you know where you're bottlenecking?   We run 2-3 Physical/Virtual Tape
devices per HBA port so we can keep them saturated.  Our SAN is horribly
oversubscribed (48 port cards) so we patched the VTL directly into the Sun
server on 4 HBA's.

I'm not a big fan of the whole VCB model due to the need for double the disk
and the 2 step single file recovery... we kept putting this issue off until
the virtual client licensing became available, then we went for cheap and
quick.  To be honest I'm floored at how well ESX does actually handle the
backup jobs I/O wise.  Our plan was to plunk down another mortgage on a
RecoverPoint or Avamar solution to handle the ESX farm, but the traditional
model seems to be working well enough.

In our environment the single file level recovery beats out the need for BMR
too...  I mean really just make a new Windows guest from template, do a full
recovery using NetWorker, reboot, and bam the old guest is back < 20 minutes
usually.

Maybe you should try getting an eval license for some virtual clients and
bypass the VCB, see if it is better for your environment.

Alec