Networker

[Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory

2010-02-01 12:47:21
Subject: [Networker] Directive to exclude a single directory
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:43:49 -0600
Sounds simple, and I've done it before, but this time it isn't doing the
job.

On a particular Solaris 10 x86 box, I want to exclude the /system (meta)
directory tree from backups. I first customized the standard "Unix with
compression" server-side directive it's using to include :

<< /system >>
        skip: .?* *

...but still see this in the completion reports :

* <client>:/system/object save: readdir overflow error, backup of
directory cannot continue
* <client>:/system/object save: readdir overflow error, backup of
directory cannot continue
* <client>:/system/object save: readdir overflow error, backup of
directory cannot continue

...etc. for hundreds of lines. So, I added this to the top of the
directive, hoping it would prevent Networker from even attempting to read
the directory :

<< / >>
        skip: tmp_mnt
        +skip: core
        +skip: system
        +compressasm: .

"+skip: system" is the new line. However, it still apparently attempts to
read /system. Is a client-side directive needed, or will it even make any
difference? What am I overlooking?

Thanks.