Networker

[Networker] nsrim/nsrck trying to check non-existent clients?

2010-01-26 09:07:58
Subject: [Networker] nsrim/nsrck trying to check non-existent clients?
From: "Brian O'Neill" <oneill AT OINC DOT NET>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 09:06:14 -0500
I upgraded to 7.4.5 last week on two systems from 7.4.3 - one on CentOS 4 32-bit, one on CentOS 5 64-bit.

The CentOS 4 system failed to complete a couple of savegrps properly, which were still "running" this morning. When I checked, it appeared that I had several nsrim processes running, from which "nsrck -X" was called, but with a large list of clients that include several clients recently deleted, and it appears to be hanging up on at least one of them.

When running "nsrim -X" manually, I can see that it generates a list of clients, but based on some criteria I am not aware of.

The clients were removed after all their savesets expired. The savesets do still exist on volumes, but they are all recyclable. it appears to be basing the client list on these savesets though, as for each saveset name it finds, I get this:

olddeletedclient:c:\, 0 browsable cycle(s)
0 browsable files of 149 total, 0 KB recoverable of 411 KB total

Where the totals differ but the 0s are constant.

For several of these old clients it skips them as

nsrck: File index error: `olddeletedclient' is not a registered client

as it should, but in this one case (at least, since it doesn't get further), it sits forever. strace shows it in a loop of:

fcntl64(0, F_SETLK64, {type=F_UNLCK, whence=SEEK_SET, start=0, len=1}, 0xbfff8c00) = -1 EBADF (Bad file descriptor)
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_BLOCK, [CHLD], [], 8) = 0
rt_sigaction(SIGCHLD, NULL, {SIG_DFL}, 8) = 0
rt_sigprocmask(SIG_SETMASK, [], NULL, 8) = 0
nanosleep({1, 0}, {1, 0})

I'm guessing that it still thinks this client should exist for some reason, but I haven't figured out why...

Any ideas how I can clear this client once and for all?

-Brian