Networker

[Networker] New server install incorrectly creates server record

2010-01-12 15:31:09
Subject: [Networker] New server install incorrectly creates server record
From: Tom Birkenbach <tom.birkenbach AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:28:59 -0500
I came across this oddity and wanted to share it with the community.

When performing a new install of NetWorker, be sure you have your HOSTS file
setup correctly where the servers own entry is setup as:
IP    full.domain.name   shortname
e.g.
141.218.1.15    backupmaster.backup.acme.com    backupmaster

What happened to me was that I had the short name and full name reversed
(the HOSTS entry as: 141.218.1.15    backupmaster
backupmaster.backup.acme.com), so after NetWorker was installed it created
its client entry for itself based on the short name and not the full domain
name.  When attempting to do backups outside its own segment, it would fail
name resolution.  After re-ordering the entry in the HOSTS file (i.e. as:
141.218.1.15    backupmaster.backup.acme.com    backupmaster) and
re-installing NetWorker, the servers client entry was built with the full
domain name.

I found it odd that never during the install was I presented with an
opportunity to set the server name, it just created it.  And as DNS-centric
as NetWorker seems to be, it queried the HOSTS file for a name rather than
performing a reverse lookup on itself.  Regardless of the reasoning or how
it's supposed to work, I wanted to share this in case others come across
this oddity.  Good luck!!

-Tom B.