Networker

Re: [Networker] How does nsrclone order a list of SSIDs for cloning?

2010-01-12 15:00:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] How does nsrclone order a list of SSIDs for cloning?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:58:44 +1100
On 13/01/2010, at 06:46 , jcmps821 wrote:

> I think you can "script" your way around this limitation by ....
>
> 1) keep your mminfo command using a redirected output file ...
> 2) rather than running the nsrclone command once with an input file
> 3) use an iterative "for" loop script step .... such as:
>
> # for I in `/tmp/my_mminfo_command_input_file.txt`
> do
> nsrclone -b MYPOOL -y RETENTION -j MYNODE -S $I
> done

It will work, but it will scatter your clones across every tape drive that can
hold a clone volume.

Why? When NetWorker finishes a clone operation, the sequence that will occur is:

- Clone stops
- Delay
- nsrmmd tidies up the volume

If you fire up a new clone session while there's the writing, idle component of
the delay or nsrmmd is tidying up the volume (to the best of my knowledge,
writing the additional end of file marker to designate end of tape), then that
device/volume will be considered to be busy. Therefore, NetWorker will load
another volume in another drive.

This very quickly can lead to a sticky situation, particularly once you start
hitting all those 4B incremental savesets that had nothing to backup, etc.

Yes, you could add a sleep, but it's terribly inefficient, and not always
guaranteed for success either, depending on what other activities are happening.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise