Networker

Re: [Networker] VCB with Vmware RDMs

2010-01-12 11:26:59
Subject: Re: [Networker] VCB with Vmware RDMs
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2010 11:24:42 -0500
On
>> Behalf Of John Brekelbaum
>> Sent: Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:22 AM
>> To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>> Subject: [Networker] VCB with Vmware RDMs
>>
>> Has anyone been able to get a vmdk vcb backup to work on a server
with
>> independent disks. I don't need a vcb of the RDM volumes but I do
want
>> a vcb on the system stuff.
>> Rhel 5.4
>> ESX 4
>> netwrkr 7.5.1
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Sent from my mobile device

Hi John,

According to what I've learned/read, VCB *should* be automatically
skipping the physical-compat. mode RDM.  If it's not, perhaps it's a bug
in the legato/NW integration. I cannot find any applicable google links
about it that are recent, however, here are some older ones.  (VCB has
not changed a whole lot, I don't know why this would not just work....
Apparently many set the RDM to independent disk mode on purpose, just so
that VCB will not pick it up, but still get the sysvol/root FS imaged
instead...

http://www.yellow-bricks.com/2008/11/03/vcb-and-independent-disks/

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2007/03/05/vmware-consolidated-backup/

Let us know what you find out - sorry I don't have rdm's here anymore so
I can't test/verify... :(

Regards,
Jamie