Networker

Re: [Networker] Save MySQL from Oracle

2010-01-04 19:02:07
Subject: Re: [Networker] Save MySQL from Oracle
From: "Werth, Dave" <dave.werth AT GARMIN DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2010 16:00:19 -0800
Still off topic but I don't think Oracle buying Sun is much of a threat to
MySQL.  MySQL is licensed under the GPL (v2) and so it can't be controlled in
the way you're worried about.  The chief lawyer for the Software Freedom Law
Center, Eben Moglen, who helped write the GPL2 and defends GPL licensed
software, is not concerned that the merger of Sun and Oracle will have negative
effects on MySQL.  I don't think Oracle sees MySQL as a threat to the Oracle DB
empire and maybe they can use it to compete more effectively against SQL Server.

Dave Werth
Garmin AT, Inc.
Salem, Oregon