Networker

Re: [Networker] How does nsrclone order a list of SSIDs for cloning?

2009-12-23 09:29:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] How does nsrclone order a list of SSIDs for cloning?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:27:43 -0600
> Preston de Guise
>
>> George, Brett,
>> However, if you instead run separate nsrclone commands for each ssid
>> then that will force it to clone each one separately. It has to. And I
>
> To be more accurate, I'd describe this as being hideously longer/
> inefficient. The reason for this is that at the end of each write

I agree. The only time I've seen any improvement of any kind using "per
SSID" cloning was in a rare instances where I needed to run two clone jobs
simultaneously, reading from tapes where the potential for device
contention existed (due to overlapping savesets between tape "groups"). I
carefully ordered the SSIDs to avoid tape unnecessary load/unloads, as
much as I could. And, any improvement realized was solely from reducing
volume contention, not due to anything else.

Plus, it was a HIGHLY manual process (i.e., figuring out the best order)
for a specific condition... not something I'd do normally. :-)