Networker

Re: [Networker] Apple OpenDirectory backup tips?

2009-12-14 09:49:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Apple OpenDirectory backup tips?
From: David Magda <dmagda AT EE.RYERSON DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:46:50 -0500
On Mon, December 14, 2009 07:44, Francis Swasey wrote:

> As Apple's OpenDirectory is really OpenLDAP... you can either do a daily
> backup (via slapcat) before the backup kicks off or set up savepnpc to
> perform the slapcat as part of the backup process -- no need to pay EMC
> any more $$$.
>
> Here's  a link I found when I searched google for "OpenDirectory
> slapcat": http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1706715

OpenLDAP also uses the BerkleyDB for its back-end data store in many
circumstances. It may be possible to do backups at the "DB file level"
instead of the "LDIF layer". Newer versions support hot backups:

http://tinyurl.com/ycpuqso
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/programmer_reference/transapp_archival.html

Not sure which one is better. Probably best to ask on one of the OpenLDAP
lists. Either way, a 'precmd' or 'postcmd' should be sufficient.

Also, double-check the "Mac OS standard" directive. By default it may skip
/private/var/db/openldap.