Networker

Re: [Networker] Problems changing blocksize on Win2003 - Resolved

2009-12-10 10:29:29
Subject: Re: [Networker] Problems changing blocksize on Win2003 - Resolved
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:25:59 -0500
I fixed it the easy way ... I used an Adaptec 39320 SCSI controller
instead. :-) It supports a min blocksize of 64K, but a max blocksize of
256K (by default), so NW has no problems resetting the blocksize to read
my 128K blocksize tapes.

Thanks

EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU> wrote on
12/09/2009 12:39:03 PM:

> So I have a new Win2003 storage node (NW 7.4.5), with an SDLT-600 tape
> drive. I need to run scanner here, so I can re-read an old tape, and
> populate the media db.
>
> C:\>scanner -v -s admnman004 -i -S 3674969970 -c admnlts003 \\.\Tape0
> 8909:scanner: using 'rd=admnman012.wrk.ads.pha.phila.gov:\\.\Tape0' as
the
> device name
> Cannot set \\.\Tape0 block size to 131072. Maximum size configure is
> 65536.
>  Please modify your SCSI configuration to allow transfers of at least
> 131072 (search for the MaximumSGList registry
>  parameter)
> -----------
>
> Tape drive is attached to a HP SmartArray 5i adapter, so I created a
> REG_DWORD key "MaximumSGList" (value of 33 decimal, for 128K blocksize)
> under the "Device" key under "Parameters"  key of the "cpqcissm" driver,

> and rebooted. However, that didn't seem to work:
>
> >mt -f \\.\Tape0 status
> \\.\Tape0:
>         Media Capacity  = 275.89GByte
>         Media Remaining = 328.17GByte
>         Media Blocksize = 0
>         Media Partition Count = 0
>         Media is write protected
>         default blocksize = 65536
>         maximum blocksize = 65536
>
> What did I do wrong? I got the driver name from the Windows Control
Panel,