Networker

[Networker] Overwriting a tape?

2009-12-07 15:58:07
Subject: [Networker] Overwriting a tape?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Dec 2009 15:54:32 -0500
I know this has been discussed before, but I could only find one old post on this:

1. Aside from a data recovery service, is there any way to recover data from a NW volume after you re-label it?

Clearly, the previous data is there. It's not like NW overwrites and erases all the data on the tape when you label it. It just puts a new volume label on it at the beginning, right? OK, so any way to run Unix 'dd' or maybe scanner or something wherein you could somehow pipe it to 'uasm -r'?

Then again, maybe scanner wouldn't work because it would see just the new volume label and nothing after that? If so, then when NW backs up data to the tape, how does it get past the header?

I have a tape - and no real big deal as it was data that could be recycled - but I canceled the label operation part way (on the snode), but not before it updated the media db. However, the label operation got hung and issued errors like: DRIVE_STATUS_NEED_INIT. Attempts to inventory, mount or unload the tape failed - after a lengthy wait - and finally reported '-' as the volume name, but the media db does report the new volume and no longer the previous one. But I guess when I canceled the label operation this somehow confused NW, and it froze up, unwilling to respond to any commands. I finally had to manually eject the tape and put another blank tape in the drive and restart NW on the snode to get it to unload the darn tape and reset everything properly.

2. If I still want to reuse this tape, should I just manually load the tape, tar or 'dd' some data to it and then re-label it again with NW? How can I get NW to play nice with the tape now given that the label operation obviously didn't complete correctly the first time?

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210