Networker

[Networker] Host transfer - completely confused?

2009-12-02 15:43:02
Subject: [Networker] Host transfer - completely confused?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 15:41:35 -0500
OK, we have a new 7.5SP1 test server with eval license. We'll be recovering the media database (mmrecov) and indexes from the old server. The old server is still our production machine, however. Both systems have different host/IP addresses/names so no DNS confusion, and both can, therefore, be up simultaneously.

We'd like to be able to test out recovers and such (nwrecover, save set recover) on the new machine using media that was written to on the old machine. Obviously, the recovered media database will quickly be out of date with the old (production) server, but that's OK as we're just testing things up to the point where mmrecov was last run. This may require a few weeks of testing, possibly including another mmrecov to get subsequent changes, before we go production on the new server and do the host transfer.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:
Once we do the initial media database recovery on the new server, and subsequent recover of our indexes, is the new server going to continue to allow us to operate with information that it knows can from another server, using our existing eval license? Or will it disable itself and force us to do the host transfer? If so, how can we test anything on the new box, using the recovered media database, without decommissioning our current production server?

And can we add a 45-day enabler to extend it? I know you can do that if you're operating out of box, but the fact that we will have recovered the media database from the other machine makes me wonder if it will honor a 45-day enabler.

To be clear, I'm not trying to install/use licenses on the new server that came from the current (old) server. Obviously, those won't work since they're licensed to a different host id. And, yes, we will have to exchange (host transfer) those for new licenses once we're ready to go into production on the new server, and the old server will then be shut down, but do we have to do this immediately?

Following 'mmrecov', NW will be stopped on the new server, 'res.R' will be renamed to 'res', and then NW will be restarted. At that point, aren't those old licenses from the old server going to be restored? Will it get confused? Will we have to remove them?

I'm not sure where 7.5SP1 stores licenses. Under 7.2.x, I thought it was under /nsr/lic, but I don't see that directory under /nsr under 7.5SP11?

Thanks!

George

--
George Sinclair