Networker

[Networker] Unable to remove unconfigured devices.

2009-11-30 08:30:51
Subject: [Networker] Unable to remove unconfigured devices.
From: pereubu <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 08:29:39 -0500
That is the article which works but only temporerily. I belive that can not
solve the problem. "Symptoms

Unconfigured devices shown in Devices > Devices section of Management Console,
or under Devices > Libraries.

'Orange Wrench' icons cannot be removed from GUI.

Cause

Unconfigured devices are those that NetWorker has discovered via the Consoles'
"Scan for Devices" feature, but has not yet assigned to a library (or is a
library that is not yet configured for use).

They cannot be removed as is, because they are not configured; thus they have
no RAP database object, but are represented by entries as entries in both the
NSR Storage Nodes and NSR Jukebox objects

Resolution

There are three ways to remove these devices:

1. Right-click and Configure the device, then delete it.

NOTE: This will fail if there is an existing device of the same name of the
unconfigured device which is already configured.

2. Delete the Storage Node objects (Requires NetWorker shutdown):

    a) Shut down NetWorker, and make a copy of the /nsr/res/nsrdb folder (in
case of issues).

    b) Enter the offline database by typing nsradmin -d /nsr/res/nsrdb (or the
path to nsrdb folder).

    c) From the nsradmin> prompt: delete type: nsr storage node (and answer y
or yes for each prompt).

    d) Restart NetWorker . All Storage Nodes which have configured devices will
be automatically recreated.

WARNING: If any Storage Node is accessing NDMP devices, make note of its
"Password" property prior to deletion.

3. Update the Unconfigured attributes (Does not require NetWorker shutdown):

   a) Create a script containing  the following lines:

. type: nsr storage node

update unconfig device names: ""
update unconfig device descriptions: ""
update unconfig device model types: ""
update unconfig device serial numbers: ""
update unconfig device WORM support: ""
update unconfig device library names: ""
update unconfig library names: ""
update unconfig library reference names: ""
update unconfig library descriptions: ""
update unconfig library control ports: ""
update unconfig library models: ""
update unconfig library serial numbers: ""

. type: nsr jukebox

update unconfigured devices: ""

update unconfigured drive ids: ""
update unconfigured drive addresses: ""

   b) Run the script using nsradmin: nsradmin -i script_name.

"

Script works fine, but the problems would come again after each Networker
server reboot.