Networker

Re: [Networker] Migration to a new NMC

2009-11-24 09:16:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migration to a new NMC
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:14:48 -0500
On 11/24/09 9:01 AM, Matthew Huff wrote:
Now that 7.6 is out and the NMC looks a lot better, I'd like to move our NMC
system from our backup server to another server. What are the procedures and
gotchas? Do I just install on the new server and stop the old one? Is there an
export/import? I'd like to move from Solaris Sparc to Linux x86_64, so there is
definitely a binary compatibility issue

I would move to Linux x86 for the NMC -- there is no need for it to run on a 64bit platform.

I made that move this past year. The biggest gotcha was remembering to read the documentation on what holes to poke in the firewall on the Solaris NW server to allow NMC to talk as needed. I did NOT migrate the database to the new server. I built the new server and added the accounts there as needed and had everyone start using the new NMC before I terminated the NMC running on the Solaris server.