Networker

Re: [Networker] How to configure library using nmc?

2009-11-18 19:32:35
Subject: Re: [Networker] How to configure library using nmc?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 19:28:57 -0500
Francis Swasey wrote:
On 11/18/09 2:26 PM, George Sinclair wrote:
I just installed NMC on a new primary backup test server (RH Linux running NW 7.5 SP1). We have a single storage node (NW 7.5 SP1) with one tape library. There is no tape library on the primary server. This is all a new set up, so no backups have been run yet.

Never used NMC before. I can bring it up, and I can access the NetWorker Administation window, but I don't see the storage node server listed, just the primary server. The storage node software *is* running on the snode server.

How can I configure the library? Do I have to have this silly nmc package running on the snode in order for it to see that library?

I miss nwadmin ... sigh ...

No -- you don't need NMC running on the snode to see it or its devices...

That's good! For a moment there I thought I'd just wasted a lot of time and would now have to uninstall and reinstall on the snode.

Does networker itself (nsradmin) see the storage node as a storage node? Or have you just installed the storage node package and not defined it to networker as a storage node yet?

Right. I just installed it, so I figured out that I had to create a new snode. What confused me initially, though, is that it lists the primary server as an snode. Of course, it has to have the snode software on it, too, but I just found that confusing.

Next, define the tape library. I'm still using nw 7.4 -- so, I'd run jbconfig on the storage node and then it should all appear in NMC. you may be safe once NMC sees the storage node to just have it scan for new devices on the storage node -- and it may find the library for you.

I just ran everything from NMC, scanning for devices first and then configuring all libraries, and it found everything and now reports everything. I actually used 'inquire' first to make sure the library reported a S/N since there was some mention about that being a possible issue with configuring through the wizard if your library doesn't return this value. Also, the snode now shows a number of processes running that it didn't before. Before, it only had nsrexecd, which I knew didn't seem right. Now, nsrmmd shows up for each device and a single nsrlcpd process?

I find this NMC interface very similar to the Windows admin. tool under the old 7.2.x. There were some nice things about that when compared with nwadmin under Unix, but over all, I preferred the Unix interface. This new interface almost seems like a marriage between the two, but I still miss nwadmin. Seemed so much simpler and more straight forward.

For example, under the Create Media Pool window, how the heck do I get help on, say, 'Max parallelism'? Of course, I can reasonably gather what they mean by this, but I can't find it anywhere in the Help. Why the heck don't they allow you to get help on the window itself like nwadmin did? I try searching on it, and all I find is parallelism for groups.

George

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210