Networker

Re: [Networker] Wildcards For Directory Backups?

2009-11-18 15:48:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Wildcards For Directory Backups?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:46:30 +1100
Rick,

On 19/11/2009, at 07:18 , Rick Reineman wrote:

> We've done some experimenting with nsradmin and it appears that we can
> automate the addition of a new home directory backup.  The problem with this
> is the client saveset configuration is several hundred lines long.  Not a
> show stopper but looks a little ugly and more difficult to manage.

FYI there are limits to the number of savesets that can be defined for a
client. (I believe these are more the size of the field rather than the number
of exact entries.)

When doing auto-saveset-breakup, I tend to also configure for the potential to
create/release multiple client instances, and limit the number of savesets per
client instance to around the 200-300 mark, depending on how deep the directory
structure is. That 200-300 mark I found was the most suitable limit when
dealing with directories one level down - e.g.,

D:\users

or

/home

With additional path details in each saveset, you may get less mileage out of
the design.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com