Networker

Re: [Networker] Confused about using bigasm directive

2009-11-16 14:04:44
Subject: Re: [Networker] Confused about using bigasm directive
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 06:01:57 +1100
Hi Michael,

On 17/11/2009, at 05:51 , MIchael Leone wrote:

> I'm trying to time the speeds of my LTO-4 drives, and I am following the
> "Performance Tuning Guide". And I figured, let's time the backup of a 50G
> file. I have large databases, some 3-6 times that large.
>
> So I created a file - d:\temp\bigasm-50G-directive.nsr - with this line:
>
> bigasm -S50G : d:\temp\bigasm-test-50G.file
>
> I also create a zero byte file, d:\temp\bigasm-test-50G.file.
>
> Then, I do:
>
> save -s admnman004 -f d:\temp\bigasm-50G-directive.nsr
> d:\temp\bigasm-test-50G.file
>
> and it seems to do ... nothing. It completes in a couple seconds. No way
> it streamed 50G in 3 seconds ... the server log shows it wrotte all of 6K
> to the drives. it looks for all the world like the "bigasm" directive was
> ignored completely; it didn't stream anything to the tape drive at all,
> apparently.
>
> What am I missing?

bigasm is somewhat prickly. I'd suggest that you reference the file by name
only, not path - e.g.,

bigasm -S50G : bigasm-test-50G.file

If that doesn't work, rename the directive to the standard 'nsr.dir' file and
just be sure to delete it when you're done testing.

Normally you should also get output from bigasm indicating whether it's going
to build up the file of the size you want, or whether it doesn't understand
what you've specified. If you didn't get that sort of output, maybe the custom
directive file name didn't help the process.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com