Networker

Re: [Networker] New LTO4 library doesn't recognize tapes in drive ..

2009-11-12 09:19:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] New LTO4 library doesn't recognize tapes in drive ..
From: Matthew Huff <mhuff AT OX DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:18:15 -0500
If you are running in Windows and using tape device files like \\.\Tape0,
etc... then you will have problems as tape libraries are added, modified,
deleted, or rebooted. It does not matter if you have setup fiber channel
persistent binding, the issue isn't at the FC driver level. There is an
additional layer in Windows called the Windows Plug & Play driver. It will
rename/renumber devices. This is bad for tape devices.

Microsoft added a hotfix that was latter rolled into the service packs.

The final solution is modify the registery:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Tape
3. On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value.
4. Type Persistence, and then press ENTER.
5. Right-click the Persistence registry entry, and then click Modify.
6. Type 1 in the Value data box, and then click OK.
7. Quit Registry Editor.
8. Restart the computer.

After the reboot, the tape devices won't be called \\.\Tape0 anymore. They will
be like \\.\Tape64364 and they will persist across reboots and topology changes.

----
Matthew Huff       | One Manhattanville Rd
OTA Management LLC | Purchase, NY 10577
http://www.ox.com ; | Phone: 914-460-4039
aim: matthewbhuff  | Fax:   914-460-4139