Networker

Re: [Networker] Stage savesets from AFTD to tape

2009-11-12 04:34:11
Subject: Re: [Networker] Stage savesets from AFTD to tape
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:31:03 +0200
Tom Birkenbach wrote:
Preston,

You suggest using, or example, volume=Y.RO as a query element.  How would
this work if I have ten AFTDs to read from?  Do you recommend staging
savesets from one AFTD at a time, or can I include multiple AFTDs as the
savesetID/cloneID source?  Reason being, from a lazy perspective, I don't
want to have to run this process for each and every AFTD I have.  :o)

I realize I could (probably) use:
# mminfo -q 'volume=a.RO,volume=b.RO,volume=c.RO,...' -r ssid,cloneid -xc\/
| grep -v ssid

Also, the reason I was using in the query 'clones=2' is that my method would
read both the AFTD and AFTD.RO.  If number of copies = only 2, then the
saveset doesn't have a copy elsewhere.  If copies = 3, then that tells me
there's a clone on tape, as there should be.

Another problem is that if you are not running the query with volume=a.RO and specifying the cloneid for the nsrstage command with ssid/cloneid, you might end up with cloning from the RW device (I have seen this happen). This means that you cannot run backups while nsrstage is running, because if you are trying to stage while backups are running, the nsrstage will compete with the backups for access to the RW device. As a general practice you want to provide nsrstage and nsrclone with ssid/cloneid and not just ssid so you can control which copy your are using.

As someone already said, you really want to split the staging to smaller chunks. I already posted to the list my perl script which does that.

So, just so I'm clear in my understanding, here's what my commands should
look like.
# mminfo -q 'volume=Y.RO' -r ssid,cloneid -xc\/ | grep -v ssid > stagelist.txt
# nsrstage -v -m -d -b LTO3Pool -S -f ./stagelist.txt

In a related quest, I'm also trying to work out a way to list all the
savesets I have on a AFTD as well as list what tape(s) the clone exists on.
 Any insight on this is also appreciated.

-Tom

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 07:48:36 +1100, Preston de Guise