Networker

Re: [Networker] 7.4 SP5 2 GB chunking of savesets - IMPORTANT

2009-11-06 14:45:04
Subject: Re: [Networker] 7.4 SP5 2 GB chunking of savesets - IMPORTANT
From: Mark Davis <davism AT UWO DOT CA>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 2009 14:40:55 -0500
Len Philpot wrote:
Mark Davis After a lot of thrashing, I was able to get an EMC engineer on the phone. He told me something I haven't seen mentioned in this group. If you have backups being broken up into 2GB chunks, THEY WILL NOT BE RECOVERABLE!

Is this true only in recent versions (i.e., 7.4x +)? We're going to upgrade our production environment (probably to 7.5.x) early next year -- we're still on 7.2 there -- and while *all* of our Netware clients chunk, I've never in almost 10 years experienced a single restore failure as a result of that, AFAIK.

Len,

I've seen the 2GB chunks in 7.1 and 7.2 on clients running old versions of Netware and Windows NT as well. This was normal behavior for these OS's, because they did not support files larger than 2GB. So you should be fine seeing this in 7.2 with an older version of Netware.

And related to my recent post, I just had another conversation with EMC, and the are telling me that the data from the 2GB chunking issue in 7.4 *can* be recovered, but only after fixing the issue on the server first. Apparently the server fix also has some code to manage the chunked savesets. So if your system is 2GB chunking with 7.4 or newer, it will take a bit of work before these savesets can be read.

fyi

Mark

Just curious.