Networker

Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)

2009-11-04 17:46:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:38:54 -0600
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes...:

Tim Mooney

You don't say whether the tapes contain index backups.  If they do,
nsrck -L7 might be worth a look.

Can nsrck -L7 be used to recover the indexes from a tape that was written
with an earlier 'major' version, to a later server? For example, between
6.x and 7.0 there were index format changes. So, eg., can you nsrck -L7 a
6.1 tape on a 7.2+ server, etc.? Or in that case will it just have to be
scanned?

I believe you can.  I have a vague recollection of having done this at
least once when we were on 7.1.x, but that's been a long time now so I
could just be imagining it.

The really good news is that it's quick and fairly painless to try, even
if it doesn't work.  The worst that could happen is that you somehow
corrupt your existing client index, in which case you just recover it
(you could just make a copy of the directory beforehand too, for extra
security).

As I mentioned once before, the last time I used nsrck -L7 was years ago
in conjunction with mmrecov as per document legato27970, when copying our
SBU setup from an old server to a new one, so my memory is a bit hazy...
and these types of procedures are well outside what I do day to day.

We keep a relatively short browse and recovery period for a lot of our
backups, so I've used nsrck -L7 a bunch over the years.  It's very handy,
which is why I'm quite frustrated with the current problems I'm having
with nsrck -L7 under 7.4.x.

2. Sorry for asking what may be an obvious question, but it's been a
while: Does nsrck -L7 prompt for a given tape based on what you're asking
it to recover?

nsrck -L7 works like any other recover operation, so if you have a jukebox
a tape will be loaded automatically.  If you don't, you'll get a "waiting
for ..." message and you'll be expected to load the volume manually and
then mount it using nsrmm.

That seems obvious, but what if the index it wants has more
than one instance, on more than one volume? Do I then just nsrmm -d the
volumes I don't have?

You could, or mark those volumes as suspect, etc.

Tim
edu