Networker

Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)

2009-11-04 17:24:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:20:14 -0600
> Tim Mooney
>
> You don't say whether the tapes contain index backups.  If they do,
> nsrck -L7 might be worth a look.

Can nsrck -L7 be used to recover the indexes from a tape that was written
with an earlier 'major' version, to a later server? For example, between
6.x and 7.0 there were index format changes. So, eg., can you nsrck -L7 a
6.1 tape on a 7.2+ server, etc.? Or in that case will it just have to be
scanned?

As I mentioned once before, the last time I used nsrck -L7 was years ago
in conjunction with mmrecov as per document legato27970, when copying our
SBU setup from an old server to a new one, so my memory is a bit hazy...
and these types of procedures are well outside what I do day to day.

What about this scenario / procedure -

* Build up a new server to match my existing one, same hostname
(internally), etc., off the wire if necessary, deal with licensing, etc.

* Copy (tar/untar) my existing current Networker config to the new server
[1]

* Run nsrck -L7 on this server with an appropriate date value to match the
old tapes [2]

1. This current media index still contains the tapes in question, but not
any of the files.

2. Sorry for asking what may be an obvious question, but it's been a
while: Does nsrck -L7 prompt for a given tape based on what you're asking
it to recover? That seems obvious, but what if the index it wants has more
than one instance, on more than one volume? Do I then just nsrmm -d the
volumes I don't have?

Thanks for the help... I'm just trying to dredge up some memories and get
things clarified.