Networker

Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)

2009-11-04 10:24:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Speed up scanning on numerous tapes (additional detail)
From: Thierry FAIDHERBE <thierry.faidherbe AT FOREM DOT BE>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 16:22:24 +0100
If tapes are EXPIRED but not relabelled yet, you do not
need to scan tapes to recover from. Use recover -S SSID.
Recyclable/expired tapes just mean "may be overwritten if needed"
but does not mean you cannot recover ssid from even if expired.
Rebuiling/restoring CFI is only needed if you want to browse
old backup's file namespace.

If tapes are away from media database, your fastest option
is to scan tapes using scanner -m to populate mediadb
with stored SSID without rebuiling client file indexes.

You can have a try : Take a backup on a new tape.
Backup is broswsable. Change its state to expired.
Try to recover using "recover -S SSID".
Now, delete the tape from mediadb (do not relabel
the volume).
Load the tape in a drive and use "scanner -m"
to rebuild media db.
At this stage, SSID are known so you can use
"recover -S SSID" again for saveset recover.
You cannot browse the content of the backup but
you can entirely recover it.

If you know the path you want to recover, you can use
recover -S SSID [-d relocated path] <path to recover>
It will start reading the tape and just recovering the
<path to recover> directory.

HTH

Th
Kind regards - Bien cordialement - Vriendelijke groeten,

Thierry FAIDHERBE
Backup/Storage & System Management

LE FOREM - Administration Centrale
Département des Systèmes d'Information

Boulevard Tirou, 104  Tel: + 32 (0)71/206730
B-6000 CHARLEROI      Fax: + 32 (0)71/206199
BELGIUM               Mail : Thierry.faidherbe<at>forem.be