Networker

Re: [Networker] Storage Node Explanation

2009-11-02 22:10:25
Subject: Re: [Networker] Storage Node Explanation
From: Craig Faller <craigf AT XSIDATA.COM DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 14:03:33 +1100
To answer your question in basic terms:   Networker has 3 layers..

Networker Server
Networker Storage Node (dedicated storage node)
Networker Client

A Networker Client is a system that backs up using Networker, but does
NOT have or Use any Locally Attached Tape (backup) devices.

A Networker Storage Node "SN" is a system that backs up using Networker,
but has the ability to backup using locally attached Tape (backup)
devices. It is also licensed to be able to backup data from "Networker
Clients".

A Dedicated" Storage Node "DSN" is the same as a "Networker storage
node", but the license only allows it to backup data from itself, no
other client can use this as its Storage Node

A Networker server can backup Data in the same fashion as a "Storage
node"

Simply:  if a system has no backup devices attached locally, networker
client, if it has locally attached backup devices, and licensed to use
them, then its an "SN"/"DSN"