Networker

Re: [Networker] Use production license for test environment

2009-10-31 08:32:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] Use production license for test environment
From: "Macina, Conrad" <Conrad.Macina AT PFIZER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 08:27:49 -0400
You can't use your production licenses on a test box. First, you won't
be able to get an auth code. When you install a license key, you only
get 30 days, which can be "graced" for another 15 days (I may have the
numbers wrong but they're close enough). To make the license permanent
you need an auth code. To get an auth code you have to provide the
server's host ID, and EMC won't issue auth codes to the same enabler
code on multiple hosts.

More critically, each NetWorker server instance probes and exchanges
licensing information with every other instance it finds on the network.
At one time I'd been told that it only applied if the instances were on
the same subnet but I have evidence that this isn't always the case.

If NetWorker finds even one license in use on multiple systems -- with
or without an auth code -- it shuts itself down on both systems
instantly. I was burned by this in my early days with NetWorker when I
was moving a license and installed it on the new server before deleting
it from the old.

In olden times (version 6 and before), you could use the eval license
that comes with NetWorker and reset the clock every 30 days. But they've
closed that loophole and if you're using v7.anything you'd have to start
all over from scratch.

The best thing to do is to talk to EMC sales. They probably won't give
you licenses for free, but they may cut you a break.

Conrad Macina
Pfizer, Inc.